- Wednesday, 18 June 2014 08:24
- Written by Jane Hailstone
Whatever you choose to do for a living can cause problems but how you deal with them can make all the difference. So I was wondering what are the challenges facing contractors when working and living away from home?
Maybe you vacate the family home Monday to Friday to live in a B&B returning each weekend to repack your case for the forthcoming week ahead; or you live away from your main home month after month in a flat or apartment; or is it that your current project finds you living in cramped conditions sharing a room?
Whatever your living arrangements whilst working away you no doubt have a few tips to help others – please feel free to add to our list below:
- Finding short to medium term accommodation, how do you do this? Do you rely on word of mouth? Does the company you contract for help you? Or do you use an intermediary? I found some sites offering contractor accommodation services, which seem to have some good testimonials (although not personally tested) – they may be useful.
- When you find your accommodation, do you take along any home comforts?
- Do you go into automatic mode when packing?
- Leisure time - do you have any?
As for the family - do you worry about them and miss them while you are away or are you glad for the peace and quiet?!!Comments